Friday, August 1, 2008

a week in review

This last week or so I have been very busy. We had a great time with my family in Great Falls. All of my siblings were there at least for a little bit. My sister and I took Emma down to the annual Pet and Doll parade. In fact, it was the 74th annual parade. It's a parade primarily for kids, although the parents do usually walk with younger ones. Back in the day, I was even in the parade! This year, I liked the animals the best. There didn't seem to be a lot of creativity in the kids department. Emma unfortunately slept through the whole thing. Maybe next year.

Emma sleeping through the parade


A blue ribbon winner for sure


There's something stately about German shepherds even when they're absurdly dressed


Me and my brother Ben at the Pet and Doll parade way back when

My mom, Maddie, Emma and I also went to the Children's Museum of Montana. It was quite impressive. I think it was even better than the Children's museum in Philly, and they are expanding. They had a great toddler area. I'm looking forward to taking her back next year and watching her run around instead of crawl!

Grandma and Emma making discoveries


Trying to find where the block goes


Riding a horse with Maddie

Emma also began walking more regularly. For her sake, I figured I better post a few videos with her "proper" walking form. She still is not completely stable, but I'll take it!


Exploring the great outdoors




Fun with Daddy


We capped off our trip to Great Falls with our annual family reunion with my Mom's side of the family. This year we met at Holter Lake which is tucked away in the mountains between Great Falls and Helena. It was a great day! I always enjoy being able to catch up with cousins I haven't seen since the last reunion. This year there were so many babies! Four girls under 2 and a boy under 3. You would think it would be utter confusion, but they all were very well behaved. I also learned a new game invented by my cousin Mike. I can't remember what you call it, but it consists of placing 2 PVC pipes approximately 20 feet apart and putting a beer bottle on top of each pipe. A team of 2 stands behind each pipe. The object is to hit the pipe across from you with a frisbee and knock the bottle off. If the opposing team drops both the frisbee and the bottle, you get 3 points. If they drop just the bottle, you get 2 points, and if they just drop the frisbee, you get 1 point. You also have to hold beer in your non-throwing/catching hand for added challenge. Needless to say, much of the brew was ingested. I wasn't much of a beer fan before I played, but there's something to be said for a nice cold one when it's hot outside!

Holter Lake


Emma playing in the lake waves


The four girls (clockwise from top left corner): Caitlin, Piper, Emma, and Sabina


The Wingerter siblings


Just the cousins (3rd row): Abe, Molly, Mike, Jake, Joey, Nate, Ben (2nd row): Nick, Maurika, Jen, Shannon, Hannah, Meghan (1st row): Briana, Sam, Maddie, Me


All the cousins, spouses, and kids. Not even going to attempt to name everyone


Holter Lake sunset


After we got back to Billings, it was back to business. We had placed an offer on a house but had to withdraw our offer after we received a property disclosure indicating water issues causing shifting in the foundation. We did get our earnest money back so that was a relief. Our realtor then told us the owners of the house we really wanted in the first place were ready to come down in price so we made an offer. The wife is apparently in Africa, so their response remains to be seen. The owners are missionaries and foster to parents to a few kids from Africa. I guess they want to move back to Africa and raise the kids there. Sounds very Poisonwood Bible. Hope they remember to make sure the kids take the malaria meds.

I also celebrated my 28th birthday on Wednesday. Nate and I celebrated by trying a great restaurant here called the Granary. The building has had quite a history. It was apparently part of the Poly Technical Institute in Billings until WWII. Then it sat empty until 1978 when it was opened as a restaurant. The interior was both cozy and sophisticated. I would describe it as Western chic. I had steak and Nate had crab. It was a great meal. I didn't realize how much I took date night for granted before Emma was born.

I also have been studying for my nurse practitioner boards that I took today. And I passed!!! So I am officially unofficially a nurse practitioner. I still need to get my real NP license from the state of Montana, but hopefully that will be a relatively quick process. I'm anticipating being able to start work at the end of August or early September!

1 comment:

david said...

Congratulations on becoming an NP! I have worked with many NPs, and had them as primary caregivers for my kids, and they are absolutely wonderful.

And thanks for sharing the pix of your trip back to Great Falls! I missed the Pet & Doll Parade, so it was cool to see some pix.